This is the only recipe you need to make your own antibacterial multi-surface cleaner.
I never had a really sensitive nose until I became pregnant. Something about pregnancy alters your tastebuds and even the way things smell! And when I became pregnant all of my household cleaners suddenly became these toxic, overwhelming products that would gas out my home!! And it was only then that I had an awareness of what these products could be doing to my body and to the baby growing inside.
Before this point I didn’t have any concern about what I was breathing in was actually doing to my lungs. Or about the possibility that it could get into my bloodstream. But the truth is that what we breathe in, we truly breathe IN.
And so I decided to opt for cleaning products that were healthier for me, my baby and my environment. And I started buying eco friendly cleaners. But with the hefty price tag compared to cheaper brands, I realised that these eco friendly products were pulling me over my budget month in and month out. I had to find a cheaper way of having eco friendly and human friendly cleaning products in my home.
So I started searching online and pinning on Pinterest lots of recipes and suggestions. Over the years I’ve tried many different DIY cleaners and this, my friends, is my favourite. I call it The Best Antibacterial Multi-Surface Cleaner because I believe that’s exactly what it is.
It’s antibacterial and uses immune boosting essential oils. You can use it on almost every surface and it’s SO EASY to make that you won’t go back to those pricey store-bought products again! I use it in my kitchen, my bathroom and all over our house. It’s truly multi-purpose! I love it, and I’m sure you will too! So, let’s dive in!
The Best Antibacterial Multi-Surface Cleaner Recipe
Ingredients and equipment:
- 90ml Isopropyl Alcohol (91% or higher)
- 120ml white vinegar (I buy mine in bulk here)
- 25-30 drops of your chosen essential oil blend* (see below)
- 250ml water
- A 500ml dark glass spray bottle
- Pour the alcohol into your glass spray bottle.
- Add 25-30 drops of your essential oil blend (I use this essential oil blend).
- Put the lid on the bottle and give it a good shake to disperse the oils into the alcohol.
- Remove the lid and add the white vinegar.
- Top up your bottle with water. Make sure you leave a little gap at the top so that the content doesn’t overflow when you put the spray nozzle back on.
- Label your bottle!
This cleaner can be used on most surfaces except for marble. If you have marble countertops or marble surfaces, you’ll need to make this cleaner without the white vinegar. White vinegar (which is acidic in nature) has an eroding effect on marble (which is alkaline in nature) and this will damage your countertops over time. If you have marble surfaces, substitute the white vinegar for 1 tablespoon of liquid castile soap. The cleaner will still be antibacterial because of the alcohol content and the essential oils used.
Also, whatever you do, do not mix white vinegar with liquid Castile soap as this produces a chemical reaction which results in gunk!
Using a dark glass bottle is best for this cleaner. Why? Because essential oils are powerful and can react to the chemicals in plastic containers. It’s one of the reasons essential oils are always sold in dark glass bottles themselves! And although they are very powerful, their effectiveness can be broken down by UV rays. This is why dark blue or amber bottles are often used with essential oils. They help to reduce the damaging effects of sunlight on the oils.
* Essential oil blend options
Now I love the blend of essential oils in this immune-boosting blend. But you can use a different combination of oils for your multi-surface cleaner. Here are some I essential oil blends I recommend;
- 12-15 drops of Lavender and 12-15 drops of Tea Tree. This blend is also highly antibacterial and antimicrobial as well as having the calming scent of lavender. Tea Tree also has immune-stimulating and anti-fungal properties. This is one of my favourite alternatives.
- 10 drops of Tea Tree, 10 drops of Lemon and 5 drops of Grapefruit. Some people prefer fruity scents. And if that’s you, you’ll love this blend! Lemon and Tea Tree are highly antibacterial and grapefruit is a gentle antiseptic which is also energising.
- 4-5 drops each of Cinnamon (bark), Clove, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Orange and Rosemary. This blend has a revitalising, earthy scent and is both grounding and immune-boosting. Cinnamon and Rosemary are effective against a broad range of bacteria, viruses and parasites including lice! Clove and Lemon are both antiseptic. Eucalyptus is both anti-fungal and antibacterial. And Orange has immune-boosting properties. This is a powerhouse blend!
So there you have it! The best and only antibacterial multi-surface cleaner you’ll ever need! And one which’ll make you very happy to breathe in! I’d love to hear what you think about his recipe. What are your favourite essential oil blends for cleaning? Let me know in the comments!
Wanna grab my uber-useful Speed Cleaning Checklist? Download it now right here!
This post may contain affiliate links.